“What do you want to be when you grow up?”. Wow, what an overwhelming question (that you probably get asked A LOT). Unfortunately, it’s also one you do need to start taking into consideration, as daunting as that process may seem. The challenge lies in finding something that has a good job outlook, makes you happy happy, and ultimately has a stable income. So where do you start? We’ve got you covered with some basic tips and resources to exploring ,”what you want to be when you grow up”!
The quest to your passion: This revolves around your interests, hobbies, likes, and just things that motivate you. Is there something that evokes so much passion that it seems like a breeze to do? Or is there an activity that is exciting and creates happiness just from doing it? The answers can range from things like cooking, helping with children, writing, solving mysteries, decorating, and even helping the elderly. There are many passions that could be the source of a future career but how do you know what those are? Here are some websites to help further understand and pinpoint those interests:
- Thrively – Students can take a strength assessment which will give lead to activities to try to unlock that passion based on those strengths to lead to a possible career.
- My Next Move – This site was created by the U.S. Department of Labor and will help you figure out your interests and how they relate to the world of work!
- Pymetrics – Play fun games to figure out your interests, where your interests will lead you to success, and get matched with employers. How awesome!
- Truity – Find out how you’re really wired with this multifaceted, in-depth assessment of your personality! It will tell you everything you need to know about what makes you, you!
These sites are not a foolproof guide to finding the best career based on passions or skills but it’s definitely a starting point.
What’s Next? – Apply what you’ve learned about your passions/interests to real life experiences! Look for local opportunities to volunteer or an internship that’s related to a future career path you’re considering. This is a great TEMPORARY way to find out if this area of work is right for you! On top of finding these opportunities it can be very helpful to start chatting with mentors/relatives about their career to gain some invaluable insight! Check out the resources below to find opportunities in your area that are based on your interests.
- Volunteer Match – This is a great website to find local volunteer opportunities in your area. Just start searching by city and state, along with interests, and presto – Volunteer opportunities await!
- Idealist – Here you can find internships, volunteer opportunities, organizations, and even events based on your area and skills! It could not be any easier to pinpoint those impactful experiences.
- Look Sharp – A website powered by InternMatch will match you with internships that will kickstart your career!
Phew, we know that was a lot to take in! But if we have a last bit of advice to offer, do not get discouraged by the amount of time and effort you need to put in to figure out how you’re passion can lead to a fruitful career. And…